Improving Gypsy/Traveller lives
A £3 million action plan to tackle the discrimination and challenges faced by the Gypsy/Traveller community has launched.
The plan, which has been co-produced with the Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA), will support improvements to accommodation, education, healthcare and access to benefits.
Local authorities will use £2 million of the funding to improve Gypsy/Traveller accommodation and sites, with the remaining funding going towards third sector children’s education projects and health and social care initiatives.
The action plan will focus on five key areas:
- Providing more and better accommodation.
- Improving access to public services.
- Maximising household incomes.
- Tackling racism and discrimination.
- Strengthening community development and engagement.