Scottish Youth Parliament launch Youth Work And Me report
The Scottish Youth Parliament has launched their latest report: Youth Work And Me, which celebrates and showcases youth work and the impact it's had on young people's lives.
Over 116 young people took the online survey to share their experiences of youth work in Scotland. The main findings include:
1. Youth work is important because it gives young people opportunities, support, greater confidence and self-esteem, friendship, skills, a voice, access to non-formal education, and independence.
2. If youth work did not exist, young people think there would be:
- More isolation, crime and anti-social behaviour, boredom, mental health problems, poverty, and deaths.
- Less opportunities, support, confidence, youth-led change, friendships, independence.
3. Youth workers in Scotland go above and beyond to support, inspire, and empower young people, and young people really value the work they do.
4. To make a positive change to youth work in Scotland, young people would like to see more funding, awareness of youth work opportunities amongst young people, accessibility of youth work, youth workers, opportunities for young people, and training for youth workers.