Young Carer Grant
The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly payment of £300 for young carers aged 16 to 18 living in Scotland. It is aimed at those caring for someone on certain disability benefits for an average of 16 hours a week. Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria.
- They live in Scotland.
- They are 16, 17 or 18 years of age when applying.
- They care for an average of 16 hours per week, over a 13-week period.
- They care for someone normally paid a qualifying disability benefit.
- They have not applied for or receive Carer’s Allowance.
- They are not paid or volunteer to care.
Young carers can reapply for the grant each year until they turn 19 and they can choose how to spend the cash benefit. The Grant launched on 21 October 2019. Applications can be made using the freephone helpline on 0800 182 2222, by post or online.
- ContactSocial Security Scotland
- Tel 0800 182 2222
- Web Find out more